Share your tech-focused lesson plan.
Win up to $1,000 for your classroom.
Technology is all around us. From smartphones to voice assistants and self-driving cars, our world is becoming increasingly high-tech. We believe technology has a place in every discipline — and studying its role in our lives is critical for students of all ages. Share your tech-focused lesson plan with us, and you could win up to $1,000 for classroom supplies, educational subscriptions and apps for your students, and more.
We’re looking for lesson plans that…
- Teach students why technology is important (and how to use it) in your subject
- Include a detailed description of lessons, handouts, homework assignments, etc., plus a list of required resources
- Encourage participation and engagement with in-class demonstrations, hands-on learning opportunities, etc.
- Are designed for students between kindergarten and eighth grade levels
- Specify benchmarks for measuring students’ comprehension of major concepts
- Are solely your work, without the use of prepared educational materials available elsewhere
How to enter
Follow these guidelines to enter. Incomplete submissions will not be eligible to win.
- Create a tech-focused lesson plan to teach students about applications for technology in your subject. Entries must be written in English.
- Compile a single Google Doc containing:
- Your lesson plan
- A one paragraph personal statement about why you believe students in your field should learn about technology
- All supplementary materials required for your lesson plan
- Complete and submit the online form below, using a shareable link to your Google Doc in the required field.
Scroll through and complete the entire submission form below.
How to win
We’ll chose the winning lesson plans based on the following criteria.
- Creativity | Does your lesson plan creatively combine lecture, classroom activities, multimedia, and out-of-class projects to teach students about tech?
- Completion | Does your lesson plan include complete descriptions of lessons, goals, assignments, and resources required? Would another teacher be able to teach by your lesson plan?
- Feasibility | Will you be able to reasonably implement your lesson plan for the upcoming semester?
- Participation opportunities | Will your lesson keep students engaged? In-class demonstrations, hands-on learning, projects, field trips, and more are all fair game and encouraged!
- Age appropriateness | Is your lesson plan tailored to a grade level between kindergarten and eighth grade?
- Originality | Is this lesson plan your own work?
Grant amounts and winners
We’ll choose six great lesson plans that follow all submission guidelines and meet or exceed the judging criteria mentioned above. Grant amounts, to be awarded in the form of Visa gift card, are as follows:
- 1st & 2nd place: $1,000 each
- 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th place: $500 each
Winners will be announced (and winning lesson plans will be featured!) on The Beacon.
Submit your lesson plan no later than 11:59 PM ET on December 9, 2017. Late submissions will not be eligible to win.
All applicants must be employed full-time as a Kindergarten-12th-grade teacher at an elementary school, middle school, or high school in the United States. A qualifying elementary school, middle school, or high school must appear in the National Center for Education Statistics database (available at https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch/). Applicants must also intend to continue teaching full-time throughout the Spring of 2017 and throughout the 2017-2018 academic year. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents of the United States.
Description of Funds
Each individual winning applicant (the “Recipient”) will receive a one-time $500 or $1000 grant in the form of Visa Rewards Cards to be applied toward technological equipment or supplies for their classroom. Funds are provided by Internet Service Providers, LLC which operates the website Fios.Verizon.com (the “Company”). The funds will be addressed to the Recipients and mailed to the school designated by the Recipient on his/her submission form.
Recipient Selection and Announcement
To be considered, an applicant must complete the online form and submit his/her lesson plan, personal statement, and all supplementary materials online no later than 11:59 PM EST on December 9, 2017, (the “Deadline”). After the Deadline, the Recipients will be selected by a team of judges following review of all entries received prior to the Deadline. Entries are judged on completion of all directions, creativity, opportunity for student enrichment and opportunities for student participation. The Recipients will be announced on or after January 8, 2018 on Fios.Verizon.com and notified directly by the Company by email at the email address provided by the Recipient on his/her submission form. Judges will include the Company’s writers and editors. If a Recipient is disqualified or fails to contact Company within 72 hours of being notified of the results, Company reserves the right to determine an alternate Recipient or not to award a grant, in its sole discretion.
Responsibilities of Applicants/Recipients
By participating in this program, each applicant expressly: (1) releases the Company and Verizon Communications Corporation and their respective affiliates and their respective employees, agents, representatives, designees, successors or assigns from any liability or claim of any kind or nature for any loss, claim, damages, or injury of any kind associated with participation in the program and acceptance, possession or use of any grant; (2) accepts and agrees to be bound by these rules and Company’s decisions relating to participation in the program, selection of the Recipient, and awarding of the grant, all such decisions being final; and (3) agrees that South Carolina law governs this program without regard to conflicts of law principles, and consents to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state, and local courts of Lancaster County, South Carolina, for the resolution of all disputes pertaining to or arising from this program. Each Recipient must complete a declaration of eligibility and release on forms to be provided by the Company. Each Recipient must be actively teaching full time at an elementary, middle school, or high school during the entire Spring of 2017 and throughout the 2017-2018 academic year without interruption, barring illness, emergency or military service. It is each Recipient’s responsibility to verify receipt of funds with his/her designated institution and notify the Company should the Visa Rewards Cards not arrive on or about 30 days from the issue date. By entering, each applicant represents that his/her submission is a work of the applicant’s own original authorship, and agrees that the Company will have a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide right and license to use the submission in any manner. The Company reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason, including without limitation: materials not suitable for general public viewing; obscene, lewd or offensive materials; the use of third-party content or other materials not authored by the applicant; and materials previously published or entered into any other competition. The Company is not responsible for lost, late, damaged, or illegible submissions, faulty transmissions, or submissions containing any virus or other system malfunction. Judges’ decisions are final. Any taxes are Recipient’s responsibility. The Company reserves the right to alter, discontinue or cancel this program at any time without notice for any reason, including in the event of fewer than 20 applicants. Only one entry per person will be accepted. Grant void where prohibited.